Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May showers (and U2)

May has seemed to come and go quickly... but not with the promised May flowers that you hear about so often.  We've had rain.  And I'm talking heavy, constant, depressing rain.  It's pretty rare for us to get so much in Colorado, but I suppose the ground is happy for it.  And the skiers up at A-Basin are happy for their snow too (they are staying open til July!).

But for me, the past few weeks have been up and down, aided in gloominess by the gray skies and thunder claps.  I don't want to dwell on it too much, because I basically had enough self-pity in the past week to last a lifetime.  Thankfully, yesterday was the first day that I wasn't holding back tears or praying that the pain would just go away.  A broken molar last year led to a temporary fix by my dentist last Fall.  Knowing I'd need a crown at some point, I never thought much of it because he said it'd last about 6-12 months.  That was until about 9 days ago when I started feeling like maybe May 21 really was going to be Judgement Day! (Ok, so maybe that is an exaggeration...)  Essentially, I could barely open my mouth without immense pain, and slowly but surely I couldn't sleep, I couldn't talk, I couldn't exist without needing to cry (nevermind that I was subbing all week on top of it!).  I was a MESS.  Desperate attempts to get an appointment with my dentist failed, and finally a miracle through the venue of Facebook led to getting an appointment with an endontist who performed an emergency root canal (partially - I have to go back again!) and informed me that it was extremely infected (yuck and OWW).  Long story a tad shorter, it was one of the worst days in memory (including a tearful visit to Walgreens to pick up my Vicodin and Antibiotics complete with mascara running down my cheeks).  And the following days weren't a ton better... but today, I'm almost back to normal, and for that, I am SOOO grateful!!

On day 2 of my recovery, I needed to really suck it all up, because come hell or high water, we were heading to the U2 concert at Mile High Stadium.  Matt did his diligent, U2 fan duty of arriving at 2:30pm to get us in line, and thankfully the people were not mad when I showed up shortly before 5pm to sneak in with him and our friend Mike.  Yes, I made fun of him for going so early, but when I learned that one of our pastors from church arrived at 9:30am for a spot in line, I felt less silly... and when we got our AWESOME spot on the field right in front of the catwalk, all jokes were forgotten.  It was the best concert we have ever been to.  Seeing the Fray open up for them was awesome, and seeing Bono and the guys up close and singing some amazing songs was simply amazing.  I can't even put into words how incredible it all was.


That's it for now - I apologize for missing some other fun things we've done this month (like a surprise party for Joe/Keri's make-up birthdays, a visit by my mom, the Derby, Club Hutch, celebrating with classmates, band practices, working on our "yard".... all fun times!), but this should suffice for the most recent adventures in Larsonland.  We have many more great ones ahead this summer, so be sure to stay tuned.  The first one of which will be all of Matt's siblings visiting next week!!  We absolutely can't wait to have them here.

Oh yeah, and of course there's that little thing about Matt being on JEOPARDY! this Monday!!  Be sure to tune in - it was one of the greatest experiences of his (and my) life - and we look forward to reliving it with some friends at the watch party Monday evening.  See you all again soon!

Some pics of the times I'm too lazy to write about:

















1 comment:

  1. Oh Al, so sorry about your tooth...how horrible. I hope that you're on the road to recovery. We are SOOOOO excited for MONDAY!!! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete