Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Monday, April 26, 2010

Here we go...

Please don't ask me to join you for nachos at Qdoba... because today I've finally decided to start doing something about being the big girl that I am :)  Yes, this is an embarrassing topic - but in reality, I know that just about everyone has struggled with their weight.  I'm certainly not the first and won't be the last.  Sadly though, this doesn't make actually losing weight any easier.  And for those of you that have ever tried it, it's hard.  Like, I mean, really hard. 

There's no way around admitting that I've pretty much always been a bigger girl... I mean, I've seen a few pictures from when I was 4 or 5, and I guess I was pretty average back then, but anything after that and you'll find I've got some pretty great Charlie Brown cheeks (amongst other things).  Genetics against me, I certainly never really helped my cause being somewhat of an emotional eater.  So when I would get sad or depressed about things in life, I'd gain more weight... yet when I was happy, I'd gain weight too!  Having been married to an amazing guy certainly hasn't helped - it's been the happiest year of my life, but my waistline would beg to differ. 

Wanting to be healthy and generally happier about my appearance (and don't worry, I'm not one to really put much weight on that - no pun intended), I decided it's finally time to take action.  And by action, I don't mean anything drastic. I totally give props to those of you that can hit the gym for hours at a time, and yes, the Biggest Loser is a very inspirational show, but that's just not for me.  The reality is that I have terrible knees, a bad back, and other problems that make my time at the gym not only not fun, but pretty unbearable.  And if this is going to be something that sticks, I need to not feel miserable or like a failure (which is generally how I feel at the gym).  I have done the whole Weight Watchers thing before, amongst MANY other attempts through various fads, and even though it's not as easy as Jenny McCarthy or Jennifer Hudson make it sound, it's something I can generally get behind: watch what goes into your mouth.  I'm not ready to count points, but I am ready to start making changes that relfect the WW ideas.  I can't promise big things, but I can promise small things that will hopefully lead to big things :) 

Thankfully, Matt is 100% behind me on this and has already offered to help sort out our snack foods and get our eating habits in a more healthy direction.  (That guy can eat anything, and I mean anything, and stay skinny.  It's maddening!)  I know this will be a LONG road, and one on which I'll likely fall down many times, but I feel like writing it here for people to see is giving me that extra motivation to actually take charge and not wuss out.  Wish me luck.  This will not be fun, but I know it's possible.  I welcome any tips, recipes, pointers, etc.  :)

Don't be upset with me if you see me out to eat or drinking a margarita, I mean, let's be realistic.  I want to enjoy life, and I think you can do both - be healthy and have fun - without feeling guilty.  So, that's where I'm at.  Sorry for getting all personal on you.  It's already 2pm and I've stuck to today's plan thus far, so I'm feeling good!

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you! I think you are going to do GREAT! Here are some things I've tried around here...although my belly is still jiggly from that darn pregnancy because I still eat too much chocolate...
    *try ground turkey instead of ground beef for stuff
    *NO SODA! Try sticking to only water...and a margarita here and there :)
    *Not sure about you, but I always want dessert, so lately I've been getting the island way sorbets at Costco- they are better than ice cream.
    *Lunches are hard since you typically go out. My sister got used to eating at the same place almost everyday and getting the same thing- a healthy option like a salad with chicken.

    Now I'm no skinny bitch, but I am trying to lose this jiggle. Going up and down three flights of stairs every day just isn't cutting it, so let me know what else is working for you and we can exchange "secrets". Love you Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO proud of you!! I've always thought you were a beautiful girl, but if you've decided to do this for yourself that's the best reason I can think of! You can definitely ease into a new lifestyle that is in no way less fun than your old one... I've lost 12 lbs since the beginning of the year just making different choices, but I still put importance on enjoying myself. You can do it! This I know!!

    I can't wait to hear how you're doing! Heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! It is a huge step, and if for nothing else to be healthier! You have always been beautiful! I second everything Mandi said, I get with the program for a while and then hop off, and then hop back on! Mandi and I have said many times "well you are doing better than you were before right?" I figured that anything was better than the path that I was on-kudos to you for sharing your new journey. Cheers to healthier you!

    ReplyDelete