Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Thursday, May 6, 2010

some birthdays and stuff

Sometimes when I forget to bring my camera out (or I'm too lazy to use it), I have a hard time remembering if we've been busy or boring lately :)  Probably a little of both, as usual.  Here's what's been going on the last week or so...

Since we were out of town for my dad's birthday, we celebrated with a dinner at Efrains (some of the BEST mexican food in Colorado!).  Always a fun time (I shockingly hadn't been in over a year, a travesty, I know), and we ended the night with a rousing game of Cranium in my folks newly remodled kitchen (of course Matt and I won) :)

Last week we hit up Vine Street Pub for our friend Keri's birthday - it was in our old neighborhood of Uptown, but oddly Matt and I had never been.  It's a sister restaurant to Mountain Sun with great beers and food.  We had a great time (and Joe brought an amazing cake from Cake Crumbs, which was delicious!!).




One of Matt's good friends from college (Sherpa) was in town with his wife for a long weekend.  Oddly enough, his wife's good friend from college happens to live in Denver too.  Matt met her and her husband at Sherpa's wedding last year, so we became fast friends.  Having Sherpa and his wife Grete in town was a good excuse to hang out for most of the weekend - so we did!  Unfortunately, Matt caught my cold (or sinus infection?), and we both were coughing/sneezing/sniffling most of the weekend.  Lucky them. :) 

It ended up being a great time - I love having visitors in Denver to "show off" our city.  There really are so many hidden gems here.  We ate a great dinner at Jess/Nick's place on Thursday night, met up at Sputnik on Friday night (the bar in our neighborhood that we love - great sweet potato fries, awesome mac-n-cheese, yummy corndogs - in other words, totally healthy!), and had dinner at Beatrice & Woodsley on Saturday night (after Matt and Sherpa did a tour at the Great Divide Brewery).  If you've never been, I highly suggest at least visiting once.  It's one of the most unique interiors of a restaurant I've ever seen, and their bathrooms are incredible (odd thing to point out, but just wait til you see them and you'll know what I mean).  They have interesting/unique cocktails that they make fresh for your order (they usually involve fruits and other fresh ingredients), and their food is very elegant.  Happy hour is a great time to go to sample some food and drinks for much cheaper than their normal prices. 

After dinner at B&W, we hit up Sweet Action (on Broadway) for some delicious ice cream and then headed to our place for some wine (scotch for the guys) and hanging out.  It was a great time to catch up, play some Wii, and enjoy each other's company.  Always love having friends over! 

We had my dad, stepmom, Amber, and DJ over for dinner on Sunday night for my stepmom's birthday.  I made a simple dish of breaded chicken, parmesan/herb rice, and asparagus with a delicious goat cheese/strawberry salad to start, though of course everyone mostly liked the cookies/ice cream at the end. :)  My sister called me in the morning to see if Matt and I were sick as I guess she and DJ had been sick all morning throwing up and whatnot... my cooking may not be fabulous, but I'd never made anyone sick!!  Thankfully, Matt and I were not sick, and I checked with my parents who were also not sick.  PHEW.  That would have been embarassing :)

This week we're working on getting some bids for putting a fence in at our house.  Matt played at the Empire again last night, and we're hoping to go camping with Keri and Joe on Friday if the weather isn't too chilly.  And thank you for the many folks that have sent encouraging messages about my new goal of eating healthy - encouragement is such a great motivator!  Off to a slow start, as I predicted, but I'm definitely making some good changes that I think will add up and keep me making more :)  For instance, instead of grabbing random breakfasts or snacking on bad foods if I don't eat breakfast, I've been bringing a ziplock bag of frosted mini wheats to work.  It's a great way to eat a healthy breakfast but eat it slowly throughout the morning so I'm not munching on other stuff out of boredom or hunger.  Baby steps!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment