Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Springtime & Herbs

It certainly feels like Spring has sprung around Denver.  Well, I guess if you forget about the days where we get an occasional hour of snow only to warm up to the 50s again that same day.  It's crazy, but I wouldn't trade it!  Take for instance last weekend.  We woke up Saturday morning to go meet our friends Kristyn and Andrew to check out their wedding ceremony/reception location so Matt could get ready for playing piano and DJing.  After checking it out (it's going to be fabulous!!), we decided to all head to the Highlands and enjoy the gorgeous weather with brunch on the patio at Vita.  The sun was shining and we were with awesome friends.  Doesn't get much better!  Until, that is, we add even more awesome friends to the mix and head over to the newly opened Breckenridge Brewery Ale House a block away to enjoy their upstairs patio.  Many many hours, sunburns, beers, laughs, fries, burgers, and free servings of frozen yogurt later, it turned into one of the best days I've had in Denver!  I think the high hit 84 degrees that day.  Isn't it amazing what a difference some sun, blue sky, and friends can make?  Thank you Spring for such a perfect day!








And, lest you think that the weather in Denver is too perfect, this was the scene the next day.  No kidding.  Snow/rain and COLD. 

But don't you worry, the cold never lasts for very long around here, nor does the moisture (unfortunately - we need it!).  It's generally been really nice, and I have been fully taking advantage of that.  Lincoln and I have made several trips to Wash Park (at the expense of my much neglected school work) to jog/walk around the lakes and enjoy the gorgeous weather.  Lincoln loves chasing the geese and ducks.  I just love the fresh air and moving!  School is mentally and physically exhausting (though likely more emotionally draining than anything: a student of mine was essentially a shell of herself in class and I learned that the night before her drug addict mother had terminated all parental rights; another student's family is likely to be homeless soon; another student is a social outcast because of his autism yet tries SO hard to belong; another student - one of my favorites - has to work doubly hard as he tries to not only learn about government, but learn English at the same time...it's a lot to take in every day), so it's a great release for me to get out and take in some peace and quiet (or... Katy Perry/Usher/One Republic/Britney/Adele on my "workout" playmix - hey, I AM a firework!!).


This is what Lincoln does after a long walk/jog: straight to the floor of the car. 

And yet another cute pic of our boy.  Though mainly I'm sharing this pic to illustrate what my life is like for the next six months.  Note Matt in the background watching the Twins game on his iPod Touch.  That thing may as well be glued to his hand for the duration of baseball season.  (Follow his Twins blog here if you have any interest in joining him in his obsession.)

Spending another nice evening solving all of the world's problems on the patio at Steubens. 

Hitting up Atomic Cowboy and playing a game of Would You Rather...

Finally, I know it's Spring because I planted some basil, chives, and parsley in my windowsill a few weeks ago, and they've started to arrive!  Here's a few pics of the proof.  Can't wait to have fresh basil in my food!



No comments:

Post a Comment