Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Monday, September 26, 2011

While Matt's away...

Though I sadly had to drop Matt off at the airport on Friday night for his long flight(s) to Singapore, this weekend has really seemed to fly by (thankfully!).  Before the rush of Matt packing and getting ready for the trip, we enjoyed an amazing (per usual) dinner with friends cooked up by Lex. It's always great to spend time with these two - it never feels like enough!

This was the 40 garlic clove chicken... wow:


And then... it seemed like all of a sudden we were driving to DIA to say "see ya later" to Matt.  By we, of course I mean me and Lincoln.  :)  I will admit that I cried saying goodbye... and I cried on the way home... and I've cried a few times since.  We'll pretend it's the pregnancy hormones, but I know I'm also just a basketcase with him being gone, let alone with him being halfway around the world.  Lincoln hasn't been doing so well either - he waits up every night for about an hour staring at the door, and barking at any noise that could potentially indicate his dad's arrival home.  It's both cute and incredibly annoying while I try to sleep.  Thankfully, we've been able to video chat and text, so that helps with the sadness of missing him every night.  (And yes, he's having a great time and eating lots of yummy food!)

See you in a week!

I woke up early on Saturday to finish a (late) paper for class and then got to spend some time with my mom, brother, sister, and DJ.  We grabbed some lunch, played a little putt putt, and hit up Old Navy (this expanding belly needed some cheap maternity shirts!).  And then, much to their dismay, I headed to a previously scheduled engagement organized by my friend Mackenzie - a fun "Pinot & Picasso" night at a new place called "Doodlebugs" in Louisville.  Sadly, I could not partake in the Pinot part (though they were kind enough to make me a fake mimosa with OJ and Sprite), but the painting portion was a blast!  We were guided through quite the adventure of painting something similar to a painting Georgia O'Keefe did of a peace lilly... I am by no means an artist, but it was fun and pretty basic, and the final product (mine is the one in the middle below) is now hanging in our bedroom. :)  Thanks for the fun night Mackenzie! 

While I was "slaving" away over my painting, some other folks were literally slaving away painting our nursery.  My mom, Amber, and DJ (my heroes) painted it all before I got home!  I had done a bunch of taping, organized supplies, and laid down a drop cloth before they came, but they did all the rest (including a layer of primer over our VERY red accent wall that had been in there).  I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it was to come home and see the cute, baby blue walls!  Matt and I have plenty of work left to do in the room, but that was the biggest hurdle by far.  I am so thankful for them!!  Maybe now we can start moving some of the wonderful hand-me-downs off the dining table and into the nursery :)



The walls are much brighter than this picture lets on... I'll try to post pics as we get more done.

And now time to get back to schoolwork.  Of course.  What's new?  :)  In another post for another day, I'll tell you all about the kinds of students I'm working with at DCIS - I have been so moved and touched by these kids and the adversity they have overcome!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Al. I love hearing about what you are up to. I am SO ready to see you. Is it November yet? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH cute walls! (and stop selling your artistic-self short! Your painting rocked!) I think that Doodlebugs may fire me from my "contracting work" I've been doing for them based on MY painting performance ;) Thanks for making that drive up. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The nursery is looking super cute so far, can't wait to see the finished product! I think your painting was fantastic. And that chicken looks to die for... I found an Ina Garten recipe for it. One million garlic clove chicken in my near future! Yay! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete