Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Our baby is one year old!

Dear Benjamin,

The time has come to write your happy ONE YEAR birthday post.  And I just can't even believe it.  One year.  One. Year.


One year (and a day) ago, after way too many hours of labor, lots of grueling pushing, and an inevitable c-section, we welcomed you into this crazy world.  I'll never forget the day that you made me a mom. It was the a moment I had anticipated for 9 months, and one that changed me forever.  And believe me, your dad and I had NO idea what we were in for.  I'm thankful for this blog so that I can look back and remember all the crazy things that we've gone through since you got here... and there have been plenty.  Ups and downs, highs and lows, fun and random events (read: visit to Children's Hospital for a rather peculiar condition!)... this past year has been both the hardest but more importantly BEST year of my life (I think it's safe to say for your dad too!).

One day old to one year old:


These days we call you "beast", though I hope you never take that in a negative way.  You mostly earned that nickname after being a no-holds-barred, take-no-prisoners type of kiddo.  You do what you want, you are extremely vocal, you're always on the move, and you go after what you want.  You are always surprising us with how much energy you have, how inquisitive and curious you seem to be, how little fear you seem to exhibit, and lately, how much you seem to really understand things.  The babbling no longer fools us, we know you better than that!

what?  I just climbed up here to help do dishes!

quick, mom, let's play with this in the other room...

Life seems to be moving at crazy speeds, and I know that's probably not going to stop, but for now I am relishing in the amazing memories we've created over the past year, soaking up all the laughs, the tears, the snuggles in the middle of the night... I know someday these moments will be far-off memories, but I'll never forget how wonderful it was to become a mom, to have and love a son, to start a family.  If the world were to end tomorrow, I'd hope you'd know just how incredibly loved you are.  And I suppose this is my wish for your whole life!


Here's just a short recap of Benjamin Willys Larson, One Year Old... some day you'll smile at these things just like your dad and I do!

You LOVE to walk.  Plain and simple.  I wasn't quite sure if you'd actually do it before your first birthday, but one day you just, well, let go.  No more holding on to tables and chairs... you just let go!  And off you were, wobbles and all.  The first few weeks were very unstable, but by now you can almost "run" in your very wobbly, quick-i-want-to-run-to-the-stairs-before-mom-catches-me way.  It's been so awesome watching you explore the world in a whole new way.

You really love music.  Your dad and I have a very strong feeling you'll be a musician given your extreme affinity for your toy guitar, tinkling on the piano keys with dad, drumming with anything that resembles drumsticks, and dancing whenever anything with a beat comes on.  Needless to say, we love this (and will of course love you if you end up hating music too!).
drumming with pens!  whatever works...



teach me everything you know!

Your brain is working in overdrive.  In recent weeks we've noticed you put so many things together that it amazes us how quickly you're learning things.  You've put toy rings on the ring stand, you can find the "ball" or "dump truck" if we ask you to, you've learned how to actually play with somewhat complicated toys (in place of eating or banging on them), you know how to find and press buttons (and especially love to press the menu button on my phone!), you hold any phone-shaped objects up to your ear expecting someone to talk to you, you take books off the shelves to "read" and not just eat or rip apart, you drag your stuffed animals around the house like you're Christopher Robin, when we ask how big Benjamin is, you move your arms upward as we say "so big!!"... in short, we're impressed and amazed!





so big!!

You are still very social!  You love people, love watching people, love flirting with people... it's so fun watching you have fun with your buddies and with our buddies, and even with just about every cashier you've ever met at Target.  You're such a little ham!  (You loved celebrating your birthday with buddies, pics/post on that to come shortly!)

why yes, ma'am, I would love a discount on that toy!
We took you for your one year check-up today, and sadly we still have to keep you off dairy for another six months... but the doctor thinks you should eventually be able to eat yummy cheese and milk!  (We're excited for that day!)  You weigh 19lbs 14.5oz, you grew a whole inch in length since your 9 month visit, and are doing excellently other than the on-going milk issue! And have we mentioned that you have a pretty sweet patch of luscious brown curls at the back of your head?  Don't worry, your hair isn't growing much at all anywhere else. ;)

As you can tell from a year's worth of gushing posts, your dad and I love you very, very much.  The first year held more excitement (both good and hard) than we ever could have imagined, but we wouldn't trade one second of it.  Hearing you laugh, which luckily for us you do quite often, melts our hearts.  So much of me wants you to stay this small forever, but yet I don't want to miss all of the fun new things that are to come.  We love you sweet and wild boy!

Love,
Mom & Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment