Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Always something...

I've learned that as it is often in life, the general rule for my pregnancy has been, "If it's not one thing, it's another."  Unfortunately, this has made me "enjoy" being pregnant much less than I ever thought I would.  Am I excited about the end result?  I am beyond excited!  But if I were being honest, that's about all that I like about this whole being pregnant thing.

I don't want to whine and complain, I mean, for one, I am pregnant.  And I am so grateful for that blessing knowing that many other couples never even get to experience this part.  I am grateful for and in awe of the miracle of life that is occurring at this very moment.  No doubt.  But day-to-day, I have to say that being pregnant has been hard.  Emotionally, physically, you name it.  And this weekend was no exception...

After having some swelling in my right leg (none in my left) for several days, I consulted a few people and finally gave my OB's office a call on Saturday night during one of our good friend's 30th birthday parties.  The doctor on call said that given the asymmetric swelling (which had also moved up into my calf/shin) and pain in my ankle, I needed to head into the ER to get it checked out for a possible blood clot. 


Thankfully, after a few hours, a lot of worrying and stressing out, a very painful fumbled blood draw and IV, a leg ultrasound, and a $100 copay, we found out that there is no clot in my leg at this point, just really, really slow blood flow.  (phew)  I was extremely happy to get the news... but of course it is just one more thing they want me to monitor until little Benjamin arrives.  Apparently the doc said that there are signs that a blood clot could happen, so I need to be conscious of how the leg changes and whatnot, and I need to call my OB tomorrow to "make a plan" for monitoring it.  Frankly, I'd prefer to not keep adding to our "we need to monitor this" list, but as long as BWL gets here safely, I suppose we'll muddle through.  And I suppose it'd be nice if I stay healthy too :)

So, those were our fabulous Saturday night adventures in Larsonland.  Thankfully, part of today was spent watching that crazy Tim Tebow beat Matt's homestate team while Matt kept warm in a Snuggie and Lincoln took turns napping on each of our laps.  Not too shabby.

2 comments:

  1. Just read this. So sorry you had to go through this Al, but was so happy to "hear" that is was just a false alarm. Love you Al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're OK! and baby too :) love reading your blog, Ali! MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete