Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Saturday, January 21, 2012

2 Week Check-In

Happy 2 week birthday to our little guy!

The last few days have been great as we've eased into a bit more of a routine and gotten to know our little booger even better.  He's still trying to figure out what life is all about here on the "outside", but it's fun watching him explore in the little ways he can!

Our 2 week checkup with our (amazing) pediatrician was yesterday, and here are the most recent stats:
  • Weight: 7lbs 0oz  (11th percentile)
  • Length: 20 1/4" (36th percentile)
  • Head Circumference: 13 7/8" (17th percentile)
yes, he sleeps a lot...

So, though he's not officially back up to birth weight just yet, the doctor was pleased with his weight gain since he lost so much during the first week.  We have almost officially (and of course with tears shed) made the switch to formula feeding after the unfortunate realization that I probably had too many milk ducts damaged during my surgery 10 years ago to produce much of anything.  Long, painful (both emotionally and physically) days and nights of trying to make it work sadly just did not pan out the way I had hoped.  But I have high hopes for this formula-fed little guy (Teen Jeopardy in 13 years??)!  :-)  And getting help in the middle of the night from Matt for feedings is not too shabby.  I think we, and more importantly Benjamin, will survive this.

Other than watching his weight, the doctor said he is looking excellent.  Still (!!!) no news on the cystic fibrosis results which we now hope will come in early next week.  As soon as we know, we'll let you all know!  And again, we sincerely thank you for all the inquiries and kind words of encouragement as we wait. 

After our doctor's appointment we decided to take BW out for a nice breakfast (well, he just slept through it while we ate of course).  Mom and dad got to enjoy a nice brunch at a new place near us and had a great time (I mean, we couldn't let our showered selves go to waste!).  And to make his social life even more exciting (again, I was showered after all), I took him out with me to meet up with the girls for a few drinks later that night!  He, unsurprisingly even in a bar, slept through most of it, but he loved the attention from all the pretty ladies!  And I, of course, loved my time with the girls (and the wine).

We're now just enjoying our last hours of Matt not working... and by enjoying, I mostly mean just relaxing with the little guy (when he's not crying), watching movies, and taking naps.  Normally I'd feel bad about such laziness, but I don't feel one ounce of guilt today!  I know these days won't come often, and I'm so thankful to have the downtime with our newly expanded family.

And of course, here are some more cute pics of the little booger:

(this is how he often ends up when napping in the bouncer...)


(my favorite time - nap time with mom)

what a little angel, huh??

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ali! It's Jen (Valenzuela-Sliger). I've been checking in on your blog...I'm so happy that things are calming down for you...there really is something magical about that 2 week mark, isn't there? You feel like you're past the "just surviving" point and graduating into a little more predictable of a routine. Sounds like things are going fabulously, and I hope it continues. I'm hoping for more good news from you all, and wishing you lots of happiness and health during this most special time in your life. Enjoy! (I had a ton of nursing struggles, too, and ended up pumping for like the first six months and supplementing, so much of what you've written has brought back so many memories. I'm happy to report that I don't regret trying so hard, but I DO regret the guilt I felt...my Ana is happy and healthy despite the fact that it never really worked for us, either.) You're doing a terrific job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he's putting on weight, and sorry to hear about the formula feeding. But he's a rockstar, and so are you. I am so excited to meet this little guy!

    ReplyDelete