Adventures In Larsonland

Adventures In Larsonland

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life at Home


 
We made it!  On Tuesday morning, I was getting stir crazy in the hospital (and just generally tired of having someone come in the door every 30 minutes!), so after spending some early morning time with BW, I jumped (well, not literally, since I'm still S.O.R.E., so more like gently and slowly meandered) into the shower, threw on some of my own clothes for the first time in days, and hastily threw some makeup on my face before my OB came to get BW for his circumcision.  As soon as she walked in the room, she said, "Well - I can tell someone is ready to bolt out of here!"  It was wishful thinking, I realize, but I needed out.  


BW's circumcision went well, and our consultation with the lactation lady was ok... still no terrific signs that we'll be able to breastfeed solely (or much), but I was able to pump a little and at least talk about the next few days.  The pediatrician (whom we LOVE) came by again and talked with us for awhile about his drop in birth weight due to my lack of production... he said mostly positive things, but that we needed to keep an eye on it since we don't want it to go down much more if at all.  We scheduled an appointment with him for the next morning, got the all clear to head home, and packed our bags!  
 
 (Notice his mini-me shirt, just like his daddy would wear!)


Very first car ride!

Some video action of it:



 Arriving home for the first time:

It certainly was hard to say goodbye to round-the-clock care, but I was thankful to sleep in my own bed that night.  I had amazing nurses and care at our hospital, and we'll be forever grateful for all they did for us, but there's just nothing like the comforts of home!  

We quickly realized that life with a newborn is most definitely not easy - I have major respect for single moms out there, I have no clue how they do it!  I was/am still really sore (again, no need for TMI on that front), we were beyond exhausted from the littlest amounts of sleep we got over the past four nights, and oh yeah, holy crap: we are responsible for a brand new human!!  We took it easy getting settled in (and admiring all the awesome cleaning Grandma Pam did while we were cooped up), and I finally snuck in a good 1.5 hour nap with no interruptions (heaven!!).  My sister and DJ came over in the evening to help us slowly introduce Lincoln to BW (this will be quite an interesting "developing story" as we see how they can coexist), and we enjoyed a delicious dinner and easy night in... the first of many more to come!


 BW's very first night sleeping at his home:


And yes, we may have let him snooze a few hours next to his dad in the morning:

Beautiful snow fell in Denver today (after being 70 degrees when we headed into the hospital last week!!), which meant a gorgeous white landscape and treacherous roads for us as we drove in for BW's very first visit to the pediatrician's office.  His weight did go down about another 1/2 ounce, but all hope is not lost... we're still trucking along supplementing a little here and there and hoping that eventually my boobs will do the trick :)  No one ever told me how physically and mentally exhausting this whole nursing thing would turn out to be.  Add it to the list!  Anyway - we need to go back in on Friday for another weight check and to evaluate things from there.  Hoping for the best!

First trip to the doctor:

We've loved being home and adjusting to this new crazy role as parents.  We have SO much to learn, but I'm glad I have such a great partner to walk with me.  And now we have an adorable little sidekick, and we couldn't be happier!  I mean, who knew that we'd eventually tell time in "feedings" (i.e. "what time is it?" "oh, about an hour til the next feeding" "great!"), or that we'd get ecstatic over the contents of a diaper (finally, a blowout just occurred as I was writing this very blog - we had been waiting for that since he hadn't seen any action in 4 days!).  It's a crazy new life, but it's a great one! We are blessed.

 And some more adorableness for you:



A few videos of him in action at the hospital:


2 comments:

  1. thanks for the update! nothing like your own bed!!! and i LOVE LOVE LOVE that you took a nap! take more of them!!! as many as you possibly can!!! and tell Matt that Thomas Milburn philosophy: "You feed baby, and I'll feed you". love you ALI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding is ridiculously difficult, it's sometimes unbelievable that people have been doing it for thousands of years without any help! Definitely one of the hardest things about being a new mom - that and the hormone crash. Watch out for that! Excpect a total emotional roller coaster over the tiniest thing, and don't be surprised if you feel a little out-of-control.

    Ben looks perfect and you guys are doing a great job! I'm so glad you have help, take advantage of every offer!

    ReplyDelete